Linux4UnMe Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows Games

+2
Swathe
SeanHosie54
6 posters

Go down

Windows Games Empty Windows Games

Post  SeanHosie54 Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:38 am

Hey Kaddy & Everyone else,

Does anyone know an exact date of when steam is coming to linux?

Kaddy have you managed to get many windows games going on linux, if there are a few could ya do some more vids to show us, I've seen one guy running them but not actually showing you how he did it.

I've got PlayOnlinux and Crossover (registered version) on my Ubuntu but both dont work for s##t.
SeanHosie54
SeanHosie54

Back to top Go down

Windows Games Empty Re: Windows Games

Post  Swathe Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:10 am

My install is relatively new but on the weekend i installed cs:s and tf2 using play on linux. A lot of the issues are to do with lately the steam client has been a buggy piece of crap, but I got cs:s and tf2 running fine on ubuntu 10.04. what part of the install process isn't working?
Swathe
Swathe

Back to top Go down

Windows Games Empty Windows Games

Post  SeanHosie54 Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:50 am

I cant even get WOW to work, by the looks of things everybody on youtube has, my steam games dont work on Ubuntu either the screen goes grey and does nothing, starcraft works but you cant see anything.
SeanHosie54
SeanHosie54

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:26 am

Have you tried using PlayonLinux

I've used it a little and it seems to make installations alot less painful

kaddy
kaddy
Admin

https://linux4unme.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazyiom Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:33 am

Have you checked the wine app database? Here

Crazyiom

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:49 pm

Also for something maybe worth watching for early this year: http://gametreelinux.com/

Looks like the Cedega engine is being continued even after the commercial side of it has retired and so it will be free and perhaps some games will work better with it. I don't know how well it works compared to Wine exactly but it can't hurt to try.

I've played many older games under Wine fairly easily and newer ones like Call of Duty 4. I can play Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 but these days they freeze at random times :/ BUT I am running an ATI card, and you know what they say about that. I'm looking at getting a new Nvidia card soonish.

Besides that, PlayonLinux is worth trying, it provides many scripts for installing common games and auto downloads needed patches, cracks etc.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:04 pm

Steam was rumoured to be coming to Linux for a while.... but then they came out and denied that they are porting Steam to Linux anytime soon.
Such a shame... It's on Mac, It wouldn't be that hard to port to Linux. I think "somebody" might have their money in somebody elses pockets if you catch my drift Wink
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Yeah for sure, though I reckon (or maybe just HOPING like hell lol) that Steam may still come for Linux.

I remember not long ago someone got a hold of what looked like a very basic testing native version of Steam for Linux off their servers before Valve cottoned on and pulled it down. I think there are still subtle hints of life there for Steam for Linux, but who knows. Hopefully it turns out to be a very pleasant surprise.

Anyway if you are on Steam and wanna show some extra support for the idea, you can join this group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steam-linux
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:52 am

I stopped holding my breath for a Linux port of Steam about a year ago after Phronix put out the rumor that it was coming in a month then never materialized. PlayonLinux is the easiest way to get it installed. My old HalfLife 1 games run perfectly. Half Life 2 and TF2 run well with an impressive frame rate, but the colors look washed out and drab, and a few of the models are missing their textures. But then, I'm running a laptop with a very old Directx9 era ATI GPU in it. TF2 and Counterstrike, are one of the reasons I can't rid myself all together of my Windows partition, that, and I have a couple of pieces of hardware that have to connect to a Windows machine for firmware updates once in a while.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  Swathe Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:42 am

TF2 runs fine for me using playonlinux
Swathe
Swathe

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:22 pm

darn I actually can't get PlayOnLinux to play nicely with me. On both Arch and Fedora it refuses to update it's game database and TF2 itself under normal WINE, crashes at random time and has no sound (though the sound worked in the past).

But I'm glad it sounds like it can still work for some people, I had thought it was broken in general these days with WINE.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  Swathe Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:51 am

I just installed quake 3 just loading steam through playonlinux and it worked perfectly.

We have had a bit of a chat about games on linux in the IRC and if we can all decide on a game maybe we can tee up a gaming session online.
Swathe
Swathe

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:21 am

URBAN TERROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friggin Awesome fps game!

kaddy
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:18 pm

Swathe wrote:I just installed quake 3 just loading steam through playonlinux and it worked perfectly.

We have had a bit of a chat about games on linux in the IRC and if we can all decide on a game maybe we can tee up a gaming session online.

id Software is one of the few game developers that put out a Linux port on most if not all their titles.

http://www.idsoftware.com/games/quake/quake3-arena/index.php?game_section=updates
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:19 pm

kaddy wrote:URBAN TERROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friggin Awesome fps game!

I play that one, it's a great time waster. Lately I been playing a lot of Smokin Guns, which runs on the same engine.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  Swathe Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:47 pm

I only installed the windows version because I have the full version via steam.

I have urban terror too, i'd play if it's at a time i can make myself available.
Swathe
Swathe

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:52 pm

cool, yeah we'll have to organise something for a few of us......

I'm also up for other games too.....
Quake Live, Nexiuz, OpenArena, AlienArena, Saeurbraten, Wop, Warsow etc Wink bounce
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down