Linux4UnMe Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All about Windows and why it sucks

+5
kaddy
ninjamanawesome
waynefoutz
eldersnake
jonathan
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

All about Windows and why it sucks Empty All about Windows and why it sucks

Post  jonathan Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:36 pm

I don't know about you guys but Linux has given me less headaches than Windows. I'm pretty tempted to wipe windows off my machine and do pure Linux. How about you guys?

jonathan

Back to top Go down

All about Windows and why it sucks Empty Re: All about Windows and why it sucks

Post  eldersnake Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:45 pm

Well I think Windows 7 is easily the best of the Windoze world but otherwise, I would like to get rid of it but alas certain games mean I can't just yet.

If I can just get that extra bit of compatibility (and a new Nvidia card) I'll probably go pure Linux/BSD/Haiku Laughing

My main desktop PC is all Unix (ala Linux and BSD multi boot) but I still have Windows 7 on my laptop, which I use for Steam and whatever games I need it for.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:02 pm

I have 2 pieces of equipment that I need for my job, that require periodic firmware updates, which requires Windows. I keep a 20 gig partition for XP on the side to dual boot for that purpose. I might use it once a month. If it weren't for that, my laptop would boot straight into Linux. 9 times out of 10 when I need Windows, I just launch a VM. I have Steam on that Windows partition as well,but I don't spend nearly as much time on that as I did a year or two ago.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:04 pm

Everyone one in my house has had issues with printing in windows 7. Every update messes up the printing and my we've tried turning off updates and only updating every once in a while but some of the updates still get through and mess everything up. Windows 7 is definitly the best windows so far, but it's definitly not as good as Linux.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Yeah I turned off the updates too, if only for the reason they kept nagging me to restart the machine and insist on applying them on shutdown. What if I don't want to?! I won't have an operating system try to tell me what to do, so I just nipped them in the bud. I don't have any issues as I don't do any printing with Windows 7 (ironically that is taken care of by a Linux Mint 9 machine, which works perfectly) so I can just do updates if/when I feel like it.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Yeah, Linux mint does a real good job with printing. I might replace windows with linux mint. Just gotta decide what on which GUI I want.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjamanawesome Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:15 pm

unless you do a constant backup don't get rid of windoze silent
ninjamanawesome
ninjamanawesome

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:13 pm

I'm considering playing combat arms again. Do you guys know if it works well with wine or play on linux?

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:23 am

Hmm I'm not sure myself, the WineApp database entry doesn't look hugely promising though: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=13253

Might be passable though, you can only try, after all those results are a little old and it might work better with the later versions of Wine.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:31 am

maybe I'll just stick to the Linux 1st person shooters. It can get annoying when people hack to get all kinds of advantages.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:07 am

Whatever Floats ya boat man..... I use to Keep windows around for 3 games.... CnC Generals ZeroHour, Css and SS4............
I don't play any of those anymore except SSF4 and bought an Xbox for that..... Didn't need Windows for anything else so been running Pure lInux for a long time.....

If I got addicted to any other game that I can't get on Xbox I would probably install another windows partition until i get sick of it lol. But it's unlikely.... don't really play much games these days except my beloved SuperStreet Fighter 4 Wink

Way better on Console

kaddy
kaddy
Admin

https://linux4unme.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:55 am

well Combat Arms was real good, just the hacking can get annoying. Well I'll just see if it works well under wine, but first I want to get a good firewall. What good firewalls are there for Arch?

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Quids Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:41 pm

I've used Windows 7 for a few hours and it drove me insane with all the constant nagging and questions.
I run XP inside vbox on my desktop computer. Funny enough it won't run on its own with a Hex core CPU Laughing Still needed it to access secure USB sticks from work and for Nokia PC suite.

But with Nokia's announcement they'll be using MS software I'll be swapping to an Android phone soon. Doubt I'll need a secure memory stick in new job. So I can bin Windows from my machine

This pic shows how little I used Xp to end up with an uptime over 60 days by using savestates in vbox

All about Windows and why it sucks XPUptime

Quids

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:47 pm

My cpu had issues running combat arms in windows. I'd have real lag, so I don't know how a VM would do but I'll give it a shot.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Quids Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Probably not good.
I've managed to run a couple of Quake3 generation games in vbox, although they would work in Wine.
One of my old fav games - Blood Rayne 2 wouldn't work in either Wine or vbox.

Although things might have improved with vbox 4?

Quids

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:56 pm

I actually am not sure what the reason is, but since both windows and combat arms can be resource hogs I can only assume that it is probably a cpu problem. I only have a single core amd.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:42 pm

Yeah that probably wouldn't help, heck with some modern games, I had this older dual core AMD Athlon 4000+ and once I upgraded to a later model (also dual core) Intel E5200 I noticed a fair increase in performance. That's nothing against AMD, in fact I'd like to go back to AMD once I upgrade next (the Intel was just awesome value at the time) but it just shows how quickly things have changed in the cpu world.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:49 pm

Windows wants to keep freezing in vbox. Damn thing can't even work right in vbox.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Swathe Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:51 pm

I run my xp vm on a VMware ESXi 4.1 server I have at home lol.

Hey quids I have a hex core too Very Happy *high 5*
Swathe
Swathe

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:45 pm

It's Windows 7. Funny thing is it actually installed once, but now it won't install again. It just won't stop freezing during the first reboot while it's installing.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Quids Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:41 am

Cool Very Happy *high 5s Swathe*
Im looking forward to seeing what those new AMD Octa cores are like when they're finally released this year.
Its amazing enough how much you can throw at a six core and suffer no performance loss.

Jon, you've got a single core CPU and are trying to run vbox? Not surprised that won't work, since you need at least a dual core so the host and guest OS get one CPU each.

Quids

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:33 pm

Windows is the only problem OS. I've never had any issues with Linux but then again Linux is less resource hungry.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:28 am

I have 7 laptops,all netbooks. Three are Windows 7,the other two are Windows XP and I have also installed Windows 8 on the 6th netbook and Zorin OS which is Linux on the 7th netbook.

I have not had any problems with Windows and it is more user friendly than Linux. I have installed Zorin OS on one of my laptops that used to have Windows 7 on it. I installed Zorin about a week ago and I did this using a plug in USB DVD and CD drive. And now that netbook is running Zorin OS only as the only operating system.

I choose Zorin OS because like Linux Mint,it has a Windows style start menu. That Windows users like me know and understand. Zorin OS is working well but the one disadvantage of Linux is that there is no System Restore. So if you mess up the settings like I have done several times,you have to reinstall the whole operating system again from the CD.

Having limited experience with computers and Linux,when something goes wrong,I don't know how to fix it. But on Windows most problems are often fixed in a few minutes.Without having to do a reinstall. But on Linux it seems to be different.As when something goes wrong I tend to get stuck.

On the Linux netbook I am running Linux as my only operating system on that. But it is important to mention that once you wipe Windows and install Linux.If you try to reinstall Windows again from the CD it won't let you do it. Or at least it won't on my laptop. As I get an error message saying that Windows cannot be installed on the drive.It says something about Windows must be installed on a FAT or NTFS drive. Although I can install other versions of Linux but not Windows again on that computer.

So I think when you format Windows and replace it with Linux it changes the hard drive or something like that. But I still have Windows on my other computers.So I am not too worried.

But Zorin OS is working well on that laptop as the only OS. And I can also change the OS and install Linux mint or another Linux OS if I want to.And Zorin OS recognised all of my Windows drivers which is good.So everything works,the Wifi,the chipset and keyboard etc.

The latest version of Linux are now compatible with your wireless drivers. Andrea Borman.

Back to top Go down

All about Windows and why it sucks Empty Dif'rnt Strokes for dif'rnt folx.

Post  Max Blyss Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:49 pm

I liked Win7 64-bit quite a lot, but after the last couple of years, I've become much more comfortable with the general flow of Linux in the various distros I've tried. It took me a year and a half of never really using the Winstall to finally just toss it... Now I have to convert the wife, but it looks like it's going to be one of those Coke v. Pepsi things in our house.

Ironically, I seem to be one of very few I've seen who just ran into another OS and preferred it... Many seem to have had innumerable problems with Windows. I must be lucky!
Max Blyss
Max Blyss

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:32 pm

Well a lot of versions of Linux look like Windows. Take Linux Mint,it has the Windows style start menu. And you can even pin short cuts to the desktop like you can on Windows. And rename the documents and Pictures folder,My Documents and My Pictures. just like they are called on windows. I even renamed Trash,Recycle Bin like it is called on Windows.

With the coming of Windows 8 which has the Metro theme and not the traditional start menu.Some Windows users are looking for an alternative,that does have a simple start menu like the other versions of Windows did. Although I have since found software like Classic Shell and Start Menu 7 that will install the start orb and Windows 7 or Windows XP start menu on Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

But I am running Linux Mint 11 Gnome edition on one of my netbooks as the only operating system.The netbook I have got Linux mint on is an HP Mini 210 netbook. That used to have Windows 7 on it. But now only has Linux Mint.And I can change the operating system any time for a different version of Linux if I want to.Andrea Borman.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next