Linux4UnMe Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gnome 3 Review

+3
jonathan
eldersnake
kaddy
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Gnome 3 Review - Page 3 Empty Re: Gnome 3 Review

Post  eldersnake Sat May 28, 2011 5:13 am

Ahhhh okay, pretty nice and simple then, it probably would work out okay, all those simple configs can be done with the fallback mode.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:09 am

I tried booting into a live Fedora 15 environment on my laptop, which has an ATI Mobility Radeon x1270, and all I can get is the blue curtain wallpaper and a mouse pointer. No panel or anything. Works fine in fallback mode. It might work after I install to hard drive, but I'm in no way ready to make that leap yet. I had a similar experience with Ubuntu and the Unity interface. That one booted into a full unity desktop, had the mouse pointer, but everything was completely unresponsive to my clicking, key board wasn't working either. I suppose my GPU doesn't get along with these new GUIs.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:07 pm

Well, I made the leap to KDE, and I have to say, it runs pretty sweet. I'm running Mint 9, because I prefer the LTS Ubuntu builds, and for some reason my laptop pretty much slows to a snail's pace when I install anything with a kernel later than 2.6.35, no matter which distro I choose, and in the last 3-4 weeks, I think I've tried them all. I was never a big fan of KDE, it simply looked too much like Windows to hold my interest. But after using it for a few days, well, hell, I wish I had started using it two years ago.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Glad to hear you're liking it.
KDE does look kinda windozy out of the box, but the thing about it's Plasma interface, is it's so powerful and customizable it can be anything you want it to be really. Hell you could probably make it look more or less like Gnome-Shell or Unity if you wanted to and be functionally pretty similar. I do like KDE.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:22 pm

I even found this http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=94534 tells you how to make it into a pretty good mock up of Gnome 2.x.
I haven't bothered with it yet, to be honest, I'm getting used to the out of the box experience.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Say, especially Arch users perhaps, but after the latest updates (kernel 2.6.39x, latest NVIDIA driver updates etc) has anyone noticed a lag issue with Gnome-Shell? Updated my Arch box yesterday and logged into Gnome-Shell after I saw it updated to see how different, if any, it was. Unfortunately while 3D works fine, the cursor and the Shell in general is laggy and slowish. It's not pleasant at all.

Not a huge issue for me because lately I've been using Openbox with the Gnome-Settings-Daemon and utilizing the Gnome 3 apps without actually using the DE, but I keep Gnome-Shell around to see how it's tracking. I'm hoping the lag issue is something to do with the graphics drivers or mutter and will be fixed soon.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:02 am

eldersnake

is that while running Nouveau? Cause i'm getting a laggy gnome-shell with nouveau but Kde with full effects Rocks on smoothly
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

https://linux4unme.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:25 am

Nah, these are the blobs Sad

I have a GTX460, Nouveau never seems to give acceleration with that, so always the blobs for me. Maybe it's a Mutter issue. I mean GLXgears and games, and everything but Gnome-Shell are hunky dory.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  *********** Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:41 am

I saw a reply on the PCLinuxOS forum, from someone stating that they were making Gnome 2 + 3 .iso in the future. It would be interesting to see how that worked out. As for the article, Ditto Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:24 pm

I just checked the PCLinuxOS website, and they are down to two versions available for download, KDE and LXDE, that's it. Gnome, Enlightment , and the Mini-Me versions are nowhere to be found. I found this thread on the Gnome version's support site:

http://linuxgator.org/gnome/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3607

Hi all,
i wish to announce that i have no time to work on producing new gnome release :/

I am really busy at the moment and don't know when will i be able to work some more on gnome edition.
Also Siamer stated that he can't work anymore on zen-mini.

This is why appeal to all who wish to form a pclos gnome team to contact me (root@linuxgator.org)

Any skills are welcome

I'm not saying i'm completely stepping out, just can't produce this release. Hopefully i'll be joining the gnome team by the next release.

I don't know what will Siamer do with his zen-mini domains and forums, but LinuxGator.org will remain home for pclos gnome in the future.

Thank you for your time
slax
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:39 am

that sucks indeed Sad
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

https://linux4unme.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:23 pm

That is a shame, was one of the few to boast a nice out of the box solution of E17 too which I'm sure people will miss. Though there is Bodhi now.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:58 pm

I can't find any info on why the E17 version is no longer available. I can see why the two Gnome editions are going on hiatus, mostly likely because of the work involved migrating over to Gnome 3, but I don't understand why the Enlightenment version is gone. I suppose you could always just install it yourself.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3