Linux4UnMe Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gnome 3 Review

+3
jonathan
eldersnake
kaddy
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Gnome 3 Review Empty Gnome 3 Review

Post  kaddy Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:27 am

LoL

I read this review today and thought it was spot on and mirrors my exact thoughts on the new Gnome 3 which is in RC right now and will be released within about 10 days or so

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-3.html

lemme know what you think of this review
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

https://linux4unme.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Gnome 3 Review Empty Re: Gnome 3 Review

Post  eldersnake Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:11 pm

Haha, that's a brilliant review.

Have to say I think I agree with most of it too, some very interesting times ahead..
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:41 am

Gnome 3 will go down the crapper. I'd use it for a tablet if I could get a keyboard working for it, but beyond that I would never use it.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:00 pm

I'm not having any of it. Xfce, here I come. I may even give KDE another shot. The latest version seems pretty damned fast.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:10 am

kde is too buggy for me.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:10 am

jonathan wrote:kde is too buggy for me.

like what? 4.6x
list what bugs you have found if you think 4.6 is buggy......? I havn't noticed anything significant in 4.6xx
And don't judge based on Kubuntu testing.... Kubuntu is a piece of shit Smile I'll test it on mine and tell you if i have the same bugs....
I challenge you mr Jonathon Razz
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:02 am

I've had the wm crash on me and the de itself. When it first came out if I pushed the panel below the bottom of the screen then the de would crash. That's not the annoying thing. I've put kde on arch and it seems to happen often that when I log in the OS will freeze and I can't even go to a tty to restart the gui. The whole thing's dead in the water and I can't do anything about it. It can happen a good 2-3 times in a row.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:32 am

LoL
I have never had any of this.... Infact... if you still got it installed I'de love to see a video demonstration of this......
Unless ofcoarse you are trying to run kwin on crappy nouveau or got some dodgey piece of poo card/driver

what card was it? what driver was you running? was kwin turned on? did you try it with kwin turned off?
knowing you jonathon you probably fucked something up in your archlinux config/installation bahahahah Smile
no offence bro Laughing
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:44 am

I've done plenty of arch install and everything else will work fine. I have a Radaeon HD 3100 Graphics. I use the xf86-input-ati package. I've used it with gnome, xfce, lxde, fluxbox, openbox, flwm, and one or two other window managers and it's worked fine. I don't have arch on real hardware anymore but I have it in a vm now. It's running gnome though.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:34 pm

Haven't had too many issues with KDE these days at all.

I guess certain hardware and driver combinations could have certain issues with KDE but I'm not sure. Generally been fine with me but I have had niggly issues with the open source ATI drivers and such in the past with it.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:37 am

Knowing me? Pssh. I don't fuck anything up, I just ask for help if I come across a problem or am curious about something.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Swathe Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:14 am

Nah, no way, you definitely fucked something up lolol.

On a more serious note though, you have managed to experience issues I have never seen before.
Swathe
Swathe

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:33 am

I don't know. I'm usually using either gnome or lxde anyways so it doesn't really matter.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:10 pm

Well fellow bigots, she's out...http://gnome3.org/index.html

They certainly present it nicely on their site, I really do hope it gets as nice as it seems on first impressions but I dunno if I'll ever adapt to such a thing. Who knows though, I think some types will appreciate it, maybe. Still tempted to at least install it haha. I'ma sucker for new things.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:19 am

Something I didn't know about before: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/gnome-shell-extensions-additional.html

Gnome-Shell extensions. Supposedly designed to be fairly easy for coders to make and then implemented etc. Perhaps, maybe, with some maturing and a healthy selection of these extensions to choose from, Gnome-Shell could turn out alright. We'll see, but I think the potential is pretty good at least, especially if they can get a nice GUI system going to activate/deactivate extensions etc.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:57 am

yeah i've known about this for quite a while......... there is the ability to write extensions for gnome-shell which will give it more functionality........
I'm still disappointed that the Gnome/Shell devs dumbed it down so much by default and lacks functionality that you would expect from a Gui........ but hopefully the community can pick up where they left off and make it better in the next year or two........ I'm using gnome 3 atm on Arch for the hell of it
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Growing on you at all?

I know what you mean about the dumbing down... I mean, taking away certain options just so a newbie can't "accidently screw something up" or whatever is madness. It's Linux FFS Wink
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:03 pm

lol Not growing on me Yet........ If it was fully functional, Not so buggy and customisable then I would probably Like it alot. But I can't really be
Fucked messing around with editing config files just to fucking have the ability to change my themes etc or add other functions that should be there
by default. LoL

Hopefully Gnome get their head out their ass and accept extensions into their builds in the future to give the fkn thing some functionality.... If not, Distro Devs
probably will. But it's still fkn annoying that the Gnome devs "think" the way they do. It's retarded.

kaddy
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:00 pm

They took out the thing that attracted me to Gnome in the first place, the ability to customize it or theme it. I can make a Gnome 2.x panel look like just about anything you can imagine. This new Gnome reminds me of OSX. You do it OUR way or not at all. That's my biggest complaint.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:19 pm

I hear ya

unless you wanna mess around with extensions etc.... pain in the ass really. Cbf
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:11 pm

waynefoutz wrote:They took out the thing that attracted me to Gnome in the first place, the ability to customize it or theme it. I can make a Gnome 2.x panel look like just about anything you can imagine. This new Gnome reminds me of OSX. You do it OUR way or not at all. That's my biggest complaint.

Too true. Unfortunately the Gnome devs and their ideas remind me all too much of Apple really.

As I said earlier, taking out certain functions we take for granted just because a newbie may or may not go in there and mess something up... crazy I reckon, Linux is all about flexibility and customization, why make a popular well known desktop interface like Gnome so locked down?
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:10 pm

I just got an idea...I was on Facebook, and got a post from OMG-Ubuntu that Dapper Drake server is EOL'ed today. I got to thinking, this old laptop of mine never ran better than it did with Hardy Heron on it. I looked it up, the server edition is supported until 2013, so why shouldn't I just roll it back to that and put a Gnome desktop on it? I'm kind of tired of trying to keep up to date really. I'm ready to roll it back to what worked well. Hardy screamed on this old thing. It's either that, or I'm migrating to PCLinuxOS KDE or perhaps Enlightenment. I'm not really digging the direction Ubuntu or Gnome is taking.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  rflejeune Tue May 03, 2011 11:19 am

The article nicely sums up my feelings on the new desktops. Suspect
rflejeune
rflejeune

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Wed May 04, 2011 5:50 am

lol yeah. Atleast for now.... I dunno... There are some things I like about Gnome 3 but
it just aint feature complete enough for me to want to use it. Cbf with extensions and what not. I hope they add functionality to it
instead of continuing to dumb it down to a retarded state...... :s
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Wed May 04, 2011 7:51 pm

That's one of my problems with unity. I haven't tried gnome 3 yet, but I plan on doing it at some point. On unity if I want to monitor something like cpu usage, there's no app for it. I end up having to use conky. It's a great program, but I have to minimize everything to see what is going on with my system. I do hope that this changes soon.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next