Linux4UnMe Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EXDE - Gnome 2 fork

+4
waynefoutz
kaddy
jonathan
eldersnake
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

EXDE - Gnome 2 fork - Page 2 Empty Re: EXDE - Gnome 2 fork

Post  kaddy Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:23 am

waynefoutz

I know it's in the Archlinux repo, but i've never bothered trying it out... it would just be the same old same old gnome 2xx and i know what gnome 2xx is like lol

However I'm using gnome 3.2xx in fallback mode right now and it aint so bad to get a gnome 2xx like desktop with full compiz setup etc Wink

Even Mint 12 is moving to gnome 3... but it is going to be highly customized... looks great!

kaddy
kaddy
Admin

https://linux4unme.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:24 pm

I think MATE could be truly awesome and a true modern alternative DE IF they port it to GTK3 and clean up some of it's code but otherwise keep it basically to good old Gnome 2.

I think that's a hell of a lot of work though so who knows what will happen with it.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  modus Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:34 pm

At the moment I'm using XFCE with Fedora 16. (Yep if Linus likes stuff I usually follow like a little puppy). I would use Centos as it's really fast etc, but it has an older kernel and so doesn't do wifi very well, or easily.
Otherwise the guys at MATE are doing a pretty solid job at the mo'.

youtube.com/watch?v=vSEYlDC8AiE MrMassivemanmeat 's Youtube channel showing MATE
modus
modus

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:03 pm

kaddy wrote:waynefoutz

I know it's in the Archlinux repo, but i've never bothered trying it out... it would just be the same old same old gnome 2xx and i know what gnome 2xx is like lol

However I'm using gnome 3.2xx in fallback mode right now and it aint so bad to get a gnome 2xx like desktop with full compiz setup etc Wink

Even Mint 12 is moving to gnome 3... but it is going to be highly customized... looks great!

I've tried Gnome3 in a few distros and configurations, Gnome-shell, the latest Unity and fallback mode. It looks nicer, that's for sure. My only complaint so far is the lack of the standard theme changer that gnome 2.x had. Yeah there is Gnome-tweak, but it's just not the same. Gnome3 still has some maturing to do.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:09 am

waynefoutz

agreed. Still got a longggg way to go to mature
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:20 am

I thought I'd give Mint 12 a go. My verdict: It's crap. I tried the RC in a VM, it didn't seem that bad, so I installed the final release on my main machine. It's just another buggy implementation of Gnome 3. As much as I hate Unity, you have to give Canonical credit, at least everything works. Mint tried to polish this gnome-shell turd, and ended up with a shiny turd.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:01 am

LoL

I will likely stay away from both turds Very Happy

kaddy
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:12 pm

kaddy wrote:LoL

I will likely stay away from both turds Very Happy

Yeah, I've had pretty much a miserable experience with everything that is Gnome 3. Mint looked like it had promise, but now as I'm running it it looks like an awful mess, and the Mate fork has a LONG way to go. I'm not a big fan of KDE either. I'm thinking I may migrate back to Debian stable or perhaps testing. I had Lenny running on my old machine, and I don't think I was ever happier.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:13 pm

I'm done with being a guinea pig. Went to KDE. With about a half hour of tweaks and moving stuff around, I "Gnomified" it.

waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:01 am

heheheheh

Cool man.

I'm quite happy in E17 land... if I ever move again, it will be to Openbox (window managers)

Gnome and Kde piss me off, and the alternatives are based around gnome technologies "Gtk"
Which isn't a bad thing.... but if I want a divorce from Gnome I can't be hanging onto Gtk Gnome technologies that I am trying to get rid of! arghhh! lol. fuck i'm a picky cunt... LOL
E17, EFL libraries..... nuff said. all good. I'm in Love.... Rawwrrrrrrrrrr

Very Happy
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:22 am

I think I'm going to stick with KDE for the foreseeable future. Gnome 3 just needs to be finished before I can fool with it any longer. That Mint 12 was a huge disappointment, when I first saw it, it looked like finally someone was making a usable gnome-shell experience, but after using it for 3-4 days, it was just a big ugly mess. The Fedora 16 I installed Mint 12 over was far cleaner and easier to use. If I had to use Gnome3, I'd use the fallback mode, and even that isn't quite ready. Seems to me if they were going to force all this stuff on us, they'd at least finish it first. KDE has it's quirks, but at least it's mature and somewhat polished. I would like to try E17 at some point. Every distro I've tried that has it pre-configured is somewhat long in the tooth, Bohdi is based on Ubuntu 10.04 for example. I tried installing it on a more modern distro once, and it looked like it needed time to set up correctly.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  dodo3773 Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:19 pm

kaddy wrote:heheheheh

I'm quite happy in E17 land... if I ever move again, it will be to Openbox (window managers)

Openbox is awesome. I switch back and play with Compiz / Gnome sometimes but then after right clicking the Desktop 4 or 5 times and not seeing my Openbox menu it is xinitrc time. If you have never used it for any considerable period I would definitely recommend giving it a shot.

dodo3773

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2