Linux4UnMe Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VISDO a new direction for Debian from the CrunchBang team..

4 posters

Go down

VISDO  a new direction for Debian from the CrunchBang team.. Empty VISDO a new direction for Debian from the CrunchBang team..

Post  kd5ob Wed May 15, 2013 1:52 am

http://vsido.org/index.php/topic,363.0.html
A new install ISO was created just this month May..

http://vsido.org/index.php/topic,12.0.html

VSIDO is a front line Debian Sid installation built with the goal of providing both basic and advanced users the toolset needed to be productive, protected yet flexible enough to enjoy

Built on debian's latest 3.8-x kernel that you can download here

Running on Xfce 4.10, OpenBox and now FLuxBox, any user will find just what they need to be productive out of the box

For advanced users, tools like bleachbit, Disk-Manager, kernel-remover, debian apt protection tools, build essentials and a selection of debian power tools are standard features

For the beginner, everything for connection, multimedia, music, aliases, system panels, tint2 launcher panels and ease of use is standard

VSIDO also comes with a vsido-welcome script that will install additional layers of applications for the developer and web developer, office applications, printer setup tools and image editing tools

All of this running under 150 MiB on boot in either environment

Here is a listing of some of the features

Debian Sid with Experimental and siduction sources pinned for specific applications

Latest git version of GMusicBrowser and several layouts

Latest Tint2 with patched files that allow for additional features not included in any other version

Xfce 4.10

OpenBox configured with all tools available from the menu or from Tint2 panels

FluxBox configured with all tools available from the menu or from Tint2 panels

smxi scripts These include the smxi, sgfxi, svmi, rbxi, and inxi scripts and have been developed for years, installed and ready to run

SpaceFM as the default file manager. Thunar 1.6 with tabs is also installed

Medit and Geany as the default editor and developer editor

UMPlayer for all media play

Pithos for Pandora music and Puddletag for tag editing

filezilla and gftp

ceni for all networking setup and configurations

Xchat for IRC

lm_sensors Run

Code: [Select]
sudo sensors-detect

and you are all set

hddtemp already setup and configured

Bootup Manager, hTop, screenfetch, bleachbit, Task Manager, synaptic, gparted and disk-manager for system tools
kd5ob
kd5ob

Back to top Go down

VISDO  a new direction for Debian from the CrunchBang team.. Empty VSIDO has nothing at all to do with CrunchBang

Post  VastOne Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:37 pm

VSIDO has nothing at all to do with CrunchBang and is developed by one dev, me VastOne

Thank you

VastOne

Back to top Go down

VISDO  a new direction for Debian from the CrunchBang team.. Empty Debian VSIDO

Post  dizzie Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:43 pm

Debian allows you to start off with just a minimal Linux install based on Debian.  From there, the sky is the limit!  You can pick and choose the packages that you want installed.  Nothing is forced on you.  This version is what is considered a “rolling development version” that will forever be viable!  Seriously!  It's based on the latest “testing” version code-named wheezy after the Toy Story character, the rubber toy penguin with a red bow tie.  Some of you may be wondering, Toy Story?  Huh?  Debian releases have always been named after a Toy Story character.  Sid is, you guessed it, the little brat that lives next door and likes to destroy his toys.  (whereas Ubuntu’s naming scheme comes from hardly heard of animals from around the globe with a different adjective preceding the name! As in Precise Pangolin above)
I’ve actually been enjoying the computer again for the first time in ages (And i've been an avid linux user since the start in 1991/92). Those who know me, know I like being on the edge with stuff (Ubuntu died for me after 10.04, then I jumped ship, and went on with Crunchbang for some time. But again, I wanted something new and not really better, just new. So i picked up Arch, and used that for a bit, but all the changes all the time, and all the breakage gave me (more) grey hair, and loss of temper.... Then I went back to Debian, and VSIDO! This is definitely not the “hand holding” version of linux! You can really get into the shell and get your fingers raw from typing in the terminal. It’s wonderful!

That said, VSIDO is most likely not for you if your new to linux  (actually it is, if you aren't too scared of getting your hands dirty and/or breaking stuff). As a matter-of-fact, I’d say it definitely is not. Debian does have versions for the new user, just as most of the current linux distros out there do. Sid on the other hand, is considered the “unstable” version of their latest testing distro. Since getting it up and running, I’ve had absolutely no problems you would expect of something with ‘unstable’ in the name! I will be candid here and give credit where it is due and tell you that I have had unprecedented support from some of the guys on the #!CrunchBang Linux site, namely VastOne, the creator of the VSIDO distro. For me, this is the biggest draw to using linux in whatever distro you would choose to use. The support! It’s free! That’s right, I said free. A simple heart-felt thank-you will suffice!

Depending on the distro you go with if you decide linux is for you, most if not all of them have some sort of on-line community called a forum, where if you're polite, you can get an answer to any question you ask. Sometimes you’ll get several different answers that will all work. That is the beauty of Linux. To achieve this in Windows you’d pay out the kazoo! Same with the Mac as far as I know. I’ve spent 2 days with the same guy helping me troubleshoot a problem, (again thanks to VastOne) and all he wanted at the end of it was a thank-you! One of those days was a Sunday! Like I said, unbelievable. Not only that, but their happy to help. I remember in my computer career how taciturn and rude some of the tech-support folks could be. They just didn’t want to be bothered. Not so with linux. (the word ignorant came to mind here!) - I remember once I was at a jobinterview, where I mentioned "linux", and all I got was "We don't need that hacker-shit here" (I'm not kidding! And this was in 2008!)
Functionality is a key component when installing any Operating System. With linux, you have the choice of literally thousands upon thousands of applications. Anything ranging from your typical Office Suites for typing documents, using spreadsheets, or even high-end Cad and engineering software. I wont tell you that their all ‘free’, because I have found a couple that you had to buy. However, for the most part, you can have a fully functioning system at no cost to you other than your expenditure on the hardware and your time. Which brings us to another point in favor of linux. That old 10 or 15 year old computer you were thinking of using as an anchor; well, there is a linux version out there for that machine that will give it several more years of productive life. On the other hand, if you're one of those people that have to have the latest and greatest hardware, that’ll work too.

The thing about using linux, is that with today’s distros, you can be up and running in no time and being productive an hour later! Try to get Windows installed, then your required software, then run the updates etc. and no way your going to match that. With linux another worry you wont have (much of) is viruses, or malware, or spyware, or browser hijackers or the myriad problems that plague the Microsoft OS. I could go on and on in this vein! The pros far out-way the cons! The learning curve with today’s distros is quite small. In comparison to Windows or Mac I’d say it is quite a bit less. Especially with some of the newer linux distros that have come out in the past year. They just work! Can you say VSIDO!!!

Shamelessly add: You can find us in #Vsido on Freenode. IRC (server: chat.freenode.org) (Recommended software: weechat, irssi, or xchat)

(Written be me, on my own blog at the release date of VSIDO, which btw have nothing to do with CRUNCHBANG)

Anything else? Come talk to us on Freenode IRC in #VSIDO

dizzie

Back to top Go down

VISDO  a new direction for Debian from the CrunchBang team.. Empty Re: VISDO a new direction for Debian from the CrunchBang team..

Post  kd5ob Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:11 pm

VastOne wrote:VSIDO has nothing at all to do with CrunchBang and is developed by one dev, me VastOne

Thank you
Welcome Vastone. The entire distribution is based on Debian Testing..
How can you say it has "Nothing to do with Debian? "

kd5ob
kd5ob

Back to top Go down

VISDO  a new direction for Debian from the CrunchBang team.. Empty Re: VISDO a new direction for Debian from the CrunchBang team..

Post  kd5ob Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:13 pm

dizzie wrote:Debian allows you to start off with just a minimal Linux install based on Debian.  From there, the sky is the limit!  You can pick and choose the packages that you want installed.  Nothing is forced on you.  This version is what is considered a “rolling development version” that will forever be viable!  Seriously!  It's based on the latest “testing” version code-named wheezy after the Toy Story character, the rubber toy penguin with a red bow tie.  Some of you may be wondering, Toy Story?  Huh?  Debian releases have always been named after a Toy Story character.  Sid is, you guessed it, the little brat that lives next door and likes to destroy his toys.  (whereas Ubuntu’s naming scheme comes from hardly heard of animals from around the globe with a different adjective preceding the name! As in Precise Pangolin above)
I’ve actually been enjoying the computer again for the first time in ages (And i've been an avid linux user since the start in 1991/92). Those who know me, know I like being on the edge with stuff (Ubuntu died for me after 10.04, then I jumped ship, and went on with Crunchbang for some time. But again, I wanted something new and not really better, just new. So i picked up Arch, and used that for a bit, but all the changes all the time, and all the breakage gave me (more) grey hair, and loss of temper.... Then I went back to Debian, and VSIDO! This is definitely not the “hand holding” version of linux! You can really get into the shell and get your fingers raw from typing in the terminal. It’s wonderful!

That said, VSIDO is most likely not for you if your new to linux  (actually it is, if you aren't too scared of getting your hands dirty and/or breaking stuff). As a matter-of-fact, I’d say it definitely is not. Debian does have versions for the new user, just as most of the current linux distros out there do. Sid on the other hand, is considered the “unstable” version of their latest testing distro. Since getting it up and running, I’ve had absolutely no problems you would expect of something with ‘unstable’ in the name! I will be candid here and give credit where it is due and tell you that I have had unprecedented support from some of the guys on the #!CrunchBang Linux site, namely VastOne, the creator of the VSIDO distro. For me, this is the biggest draw to using linux in whatever distro you would choose to use. The support! It’s free! That’s right, I said free. A simple heart-felt thank-you will suffice!

Depending on the distro you go with if you decide linux is for you, most if not all of them have some sort of on-line community called a forum, where if you're polite, you can get an answer to any question you ask. Sometimes you’ll get several different answers that will all work. That is the beauty of Linux. To achieve this in Windows you’d pay out the kazoo! Same with the Mac as far as I know. I’ve spent 2 days with the same guy helping me troubleshoot a problem, (again thanks to VastOne) and all he wanted at the end of it was a thank-you! One of those days was a Sunday! Like I said, unbelievable. Not only that, but their happy to help. I remember in my computer career how taciturn and rude some of the tech-support folks could be. They just didn’t want to be bothered. Not so with linux. (the word ignorant came to mind here!) - I remember once I was at a jobinterview, where I mentioned "linux", and all I got was "We don't need that hacker-shit here" (I'm not kidding! And this was in 2008!)
Functionality is a key component when installing any Operating System. With linux, you have the choice of literally thousands upon thousands of applications. Anything ranging from your typical Office Suites for typing documents, using spreadsheets, or even high-end Cad and engineering software. I wont tell you that their all ‘free’, because I have found a couple that you had to buy. However, for the most part, you can have a fully functioning system at no cost to you other than your expenditure on the hardware and your time. Which brings us to another point in favor of linux. That old 10 or 15 year old computer you were thinking of using as an anchor; well, there is a linux version out there for that machine that will give it several more years of productive life. On the other hand, if you're one of those people that have to have the latest and greatest hardware, that’ll work too.

The thing about using linux, is that with today’s distros, you can be up and running in no time and being productive an hour later! Try to get Windows installed, then your required software, then run the updates etc. and no way your going to match that. With linux another worry you wont have (much of) is viruses, or malware, or spyware, or browser hijackers or the myriad problems that plague the Microsoft OS. I could go on and on in this vein! The pros far out-way the cons! The learning curve with today’s distros is quite small. In comparison to Windows or Mac I’d say it is quite a bit less. Especially with some of the newer linux distros that have come out in the past year. They just work! Can you say VSIDO!!!

Shamelessly add: You can find us in #Vsido on Freenode. IRC (server: chat.freenode.org) (Recommended software: weechat, irssi, or xchat)

(Written be me, on my own blog at the release date of VSIDO, which btw have nothing to do with CRUNCHBANG)

Anything else? Come talk to us on Freenode IRC in #VSIDO

Wonderful write up. Crunchbang is what I mainly use and it's based on Debian stable. But all these distro's are based on Debian.
So is Ubuntu for that matter. Where they differ is in their install disks and setup of said software.

kd5ob
kd5ob

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzie Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:51 am

kd5ob wrote:
VastOne wrote:VSIDO has nothing at all to do with CrunchBang and is developed by one dev, me VastOne

Thank you
Welcome Vastone.  The entire distribution is based on Debian Testing..

He said "nothing to do with CRUNCHBANG"

cb, (for short) is based on Debian (yes VSIDO is too). cb is debian-testing based, VSIDO is not. cb uses OpenBOX, VSIDO uses Fluxbox.
So no... you cant really say we are based or have something to do with Crunchbang, so... could you please remove "From the Crunchbang Team" in the title ?

Regards

dizzie

Back to top Go down

Post  Digit Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:06 am

VastOne wrote:VSIDO has nothing at all to do with CrunchBang and is developed by one dev, me VastOneu
though... does incorporate ideas from the vsido community very well. Smile

and as for the "crunchbang team" LOL! so misleading that it is just not right.

yes, many of us use/used crunchbang, and may even have met via the crunchbang community... but "the crunchbang team"... lol, makes us sound like a bunch of crunchbang devs. there's only one crunchbang dev, corenominal.

vsido's its own thing. VastOne's thing. not some crunchbang related side project.

two distinct distros with their own distinct benevolent dictators.

Last edited by Digit on Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more clarity)

Digit

Back to top Go down

Post  VastOne Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:38 pm

kd5ob wrote:

Thank you
Welcome Vastone.  The entire distribution is based on Debian Testing..

Thank you!

VSIDO is Proudly based on Debian SID... This VSIDO forum has several links that explain what VSIDO is.

I appreciate the comments from dizzie and Digit in helping clear this up

Cheers!

VastOne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down