Linux4UnMe Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What "Flash" plugin are you using?

4 posters

Go down

What "Flash" plugin are you using? Empty What "Flash" plugin are you using?

Post  eldersnake Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:48 pm

The only thing I really need flash players for is YouTube, I don't play flash games or anything so I only need to watch videos.

For the longest time like a lot of people I've just been using the Adobe Flash player but I discovered last night by going to www.youtube.com/html5 (this is probably old news but I had no idea LOL) you can still choose to opt in to the YouTube html5 beta, typically WebM format for those of us not using IE or Safari..

And well it actually works pretty darn well, I was surprised. Not every video supports it, some still fall back to Adobe but most I have played have been fine with html5 and I'm pretty stoked with that.

I was thinking to myself, if I wanted to finally rid my (GNU/Linux) system of the Adobe software, I could choose to use html5/WebM for most of videos and just have Gnash as the fallback flash player (Gnash works for me but is kinda buggy for permanent use, the player itself seems to drop out sometimes etc, but as an occasional fallback I can't see why not).

How about you guys?
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

What "Flash" plugin are you using? Empty Re: What "Flash" plugin are you using?

Post  waynefoutz Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:17 pm

html5 development has been pretty stagnant as far as I can tell. I had great hopes for it a year ago, but it's still in beta and I haven't noticed much improvement. I am eager for the demise of Adobe Flash.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:39 pm

As am I, I dunno about html5's development, it definitely seems better to me than the last time I tried it where it was rather shonky and slow ( a year or two ago I'd guess) but who knows how quickly it will come about, hopefully sooner rather than later. Adobe runs great, I just really dont want to use it if there are good free alternatives.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  Quids Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:17 am

Im using the 64bit version of Adobe's Flash player. Most of the time it works fine, but you then you get that time of the month when it has a right mood swing.

I thought there was still a disagreement about which Codec HTML5 was using?

Quids

Back to top Go down

Post  Swathe Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Yeah am using the adobe flash plugin 10.2, with the hardware acceleration. Works well. I was using gnash on debian and it worked a lot better than the last time I had tried it.
Swathe
Swathe

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Yeah I tried Gnash on Debian too and it does seem to work okay, but on Arch and other distros I've found Gnash to be rather buggy, though certainly usable if you need to, which is pretty cool. Is a CPU hog though.

Not sure on the HTML5 codec thing, all I know is with Firefox it's using WebM and it's working mostly pretty well, a few glitches with the onscreen controls here and there but it's okay. Otherwise Adobe works perfectly, but I guess you'd expect that after all these years.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Quids wrote:Im using the 64bit version of Adobe's Flash player. Most of the time it works fine, but you then you get that time of the month when it has a right mood swing.

I thought there was still a disagreement about which Codec HTML5 was using?

I have always had issues with 64 bit flash with Firefox and Google Chrome, especially on sites that AREN'T Youtube, and even youtube videos embedded on other sites like Facebook or on message boards. But it works flawlessly with Opera.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down