Linux4UnMe Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

curious apt question (not a support question)

2 posters

Go down

curious apt question (not a support question) Empty curious apt question (not a support question)

Post  c_smith Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:41 pm

okay, first is what happened when I installed an official package: I tried to install Burg, and it became broken, and wouldn't be fixed by checking install, nor could it be removed (not even forcibly) I couldn't install anything new, so in essence, apt was permanently broken. the only fix for that is reinstalling the distro (my case, I had to reinstall Kubuntu 11.10)

what I'm asking is, has anyone here broken a package management system (such as apt) to the point it can only be fixed by reinstalling the distro?

P.S. if this is in the wrong place, please move it to where it should be.

Last edited by c_smith on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a detail.)

c_smith

Back to top Go down

curious apt question (not a support question) Empty Re: curious apt question (not a support question)

Post  kaddy Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:41 am

hi c_smith

Can't say I have ever broken a package management system like APT and had to reinstall... i've had broken updates
in APT before but I remember it was quite easy to fix in the commandline.... been a long time since i've used APT... but yer... Can't say i've had
a package that I couldn't remove...... you could of manually removed the binary/folders for it though... dunno if this would of fixed the problem or not...

cheers for the post

thanx
kaddy
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

https://linux4unme.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

curious apt question (not a support question) Empty Re: curious apt question (not a support question)

Post  c_smith Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:07 am

well, I went on the Ubuntu support channel on freenode, and they told me the easiest way is reinstalling, which I did. I could have gone and deleted everything, but I doubt I would have found it all, apt-get was pointing to a script for uninstallation that was throwing some error, I had no clue where it was, but since I reinstalled, I actually got to reset some compiz configurations that went awry. and being as my /home folder is on a seperate partition, everything in that directory was safe when I replaced.

c_smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down