Linux4UnMe Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The terminal, welcome to the seventies!!!!!

+4
almigi
eldersnake
kaddy
8 posters

Go down

The terminal, welcome to the seventies!!!!! Empty The terminal, welcome to the seventies!!!!!

Post  *********** Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:21 am

MUNTERS;GRUNTERS AND CHEEKY WEE BUGGERS

I was watching Kaddies cs play tutorial today and i noticed someone left a comment on how the terminal was something out of the seventies. Well I'm something from the seventies and I can honestly say the terminal in one of the most important components that make up a GNU-Linux distro. I don't know about some of you, but I spend most of my time in the terminal now learning different commands or teaching myself some bash scripts or how to manipulate a file to get something working. Infact when i installed PCLinuxOS on my laptop I had to go into the terminal and change a file to get my touch-pad working properly, and I also like the way you can do different tasks from the one place and to be able to use a command instead of having and app you would hardly use.

So what do you think? is it a relic from a bygone age or a powerful tool for the future?. Smile

Back to top Go down

The terminal, welcome to the seventies!!!!! Empty Re: The terminal, welcome to the seventies!!!!!

Post  kaddy Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:07 am

lol
I found the comment retarded.... but hey... even idiots are entitled to free speech Shocked

some people seem to think I am on youtube to promote Linux and recruit Linux users... lol. I often get similiar comments with this mindset

ohwell confused
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

https://linux4unme.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The terminal, welcome to the seventies!!!!! Empty Re: The terminal, welcome to the seventies!!!!!

Post  eldersnake Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:08 pm

I think what some people don't get is that we will always have a command line. Where do they think GUI's come from?

I understand if a distro like Ubuntu wants to reduce dependency on using it for casual users and the like and make it as easy as possible but access to something as powerful as the CLI should never be obscured, it's too powerful and reliable IMO.

And as for CLI apps...well some (alot) of people like to use them, whether it be for light resources, efficiency of use or just plain geek cred. No need to put it down at all.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  almigi Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:27 pm

A little command line knowledge can go a long way. I remember back when I was using Arch I borked by display and couldn't get X to start. I had to rely on the command line and elinks (or whatever that browser is called) to get my stuff back to normal.

Sometimes it also saves time. If I'm using Debian, opening synaptic, clicking on Update, then Mark All Upgrages, then Apply, then entering my root password is more cumbersome then a simple "su -c 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade'"

- Al
almigi
almigi

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:26 pm

indeed indeed

I say If you got a problem with the cli, freaking use Windows Twisted Evil
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:45 pm

kaddy wrote:indeed indeed

I say If you got a problem with the cli, freaking use Windows Twisted Evil

I use the command line with Windows at times.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  *********** Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:13 am

Take FFMPEG alone. You can do a lot of things with this command just in the one place, rather than opening up different apps.

I think if you take that kind of an attitude you are limiting yourself. Because you will always be an Ubuntu/ Mint user. Now nothing wrong with that but ... I would say you are more a dependent user rather being an independent user. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:53 pm

When I started college I took a course on basic computer stuff. The professor claimed that the cli was obsolete because of the gui. All I could think of was hell no. I can't count the amount of times the tty has saved me from having to reboot. I think the issue is that most people are too lazy to learn how to use the computer and don't want to learn how to type in their commands. I'm sure they'll understand once their gui gets borked.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:11 am

jonathan wrote: I think the issue is that most people are too lazy to learn how to use the computer and don't want to learn how to type in their commands. I'm sure they'll understand once their gui gets borked.

Aint that the truth!!
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  Dielan Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:31 pm

kaddy wrote:lol
I found the comment retarded.... but hey... even idiots are entitled to free speech Shocked

some people seem to think I am on youtube to promote Linux and recruit Linux users... lol. I often get similiar comments with this mindset

ohwell confused

That's why I like your videos so much! It's not like you are trying to sell me something. I can't say the same for other youtube users, but you just get to the point!

Dielan

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:23 am

g'dayyyyyyyyy Dielan
and welcome to the forums! Smile

kaddy
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

The terminal, welcome to the seventies!!!!! Empty Shells

Post  kd5ob Wed May 15, 2013 11:58 am

I started writing software in 75, so I'm kind of OLD...
In one word, CSH...
kd5ob
kd5ob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum