Linux4UnMe Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATI Radeon HD 4250 vs Intel HD GMA 3000?

2 posters

Go down

ATI Radeon HD 4250  vs Intel HD GMA 3000?  Empty ATI Radeon HD 4250 vs Intel HD GMA 3000?

Post  waynefoutz Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm looking to purchase a new or perhaps refurbished laptop. I'm trying to keep it under $500 US. I'm noticing that just about all of them in that price range have one or the other, the ATI Radeon HD 4250 or the Intel HD GMA 3000. Any idea which will perform better running Linux? I'm trying to get away from dual booting for gaming. I'm not that much of a demanding gamer, about the only thing I'm into is Urban Terror, and TeamFortress 2 under WINE. Does anyone have any experience with either? I've noticed that the System76 Pangolin Performance laptop, which is built from the ground up to run Ubuntu, is using the Intel.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

ATI Radeon HD 4250  vs Intel HD GMA 3000?  Empty Re: ATI Radeon HD 4250 vs Intel HD GMA 3000?

Post  eldersnake Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:25 am

I have no personal experience with the Intel graphics but the ATI chip is faster, even if only by so much.

I think when playing games, the ATI would certainly be far better. No idea if it would run TF2 under WINE however.
I think the Intel chips have the best all round compatibility with desktop effects and the like but I'm not 100% on that one. Perhaps someone else can answer that better than I.

Let's put it this way, if I was getting a new laptop and I was planning to do some light gaming and all other stuff on the side, I'd go the ATI.
If I was just wanting a good stable portable workstation with best power efficiency and doing nothing flashy, I'd probably consider the Intel.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

ATI Radeon HD 4250  vs Intel HD GMA 3000?  Empty Re: ATI Radeon HD 4250 vs Intel HD GMA 3000?

Post  waynefoutz Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:41 pm

Looks like at this point, I'm going with the ATI 4250. I saw some Youtube videos of it running COD 4, Crysis, and GTA IV, which sold me. Another guy posted a video of his running Natty Narwhal, with full effects, which is something my old ATI GPU can't do. I asked him which driver he was using, he said he got far better performance with the open source radeon drivers than he did with the Catalyst. Right now, I'm leaning towards an Acer AS7551-7422 with a 17.3" screen and an AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-Core N970 processor with 4 gigs of ram, half a terabyte hard drive spinning at 7200 rpm, and it's priced right exactly what I was aiming for, $498. The latest Intel GMA HD 3000 isn't a slouch either, the ATI 4250 just barely edges it out in fact.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:07 pm

waynefoutz wrote:Looks like at this point, I'm going with the ATI 4250. I saw some Youtube videos of it running COD 4, Crysis, and GTA IV, which sold me. Another guy posted a video of his running Natty Narwhal, with full effects, which is something my old ATI GPU can't do. I asked him which driver he was using, he said he got far better performance with the open source radeon drivers than he did with the Catalyst. Right now, I'm leaning towards an Acer AS7551-7422 with a 17.3" screen and an AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-Core N970 processor with 4 gigs of ram, half a terabyte hard drive spinning at 7200 rpm, and it's priced right exactly what I was aiming for, $498. The latest Intel GMA HD 3000 isn't a slouch either, the ATI 4250 just barely edges it out in fact.

Had this computer most of a week now. Have yet to install Linux on it. I have played with some live CDs. Gnome 3 is definitely superior to Unity, in my opinion. Couldn't get the wireless working out of the box on Ubuntu or Fedora, but I'm sure I'll muddle through once I get it installed. Now my main gripe with Acer. No Windows install media. They give you an application to burn it yourself, and it requires 4 dvds. Problem is, the damned program crashes halfway through the process, and you can't pick up where you left off. So after turning a ten dollar box of media into shiny chew toys for the dog, I called Acer and they sold me a set that they burned for $20. So I'm kind of stuck until that arrives. I've partitioned manually hundreds of times before without incident, but I'd still like to have the install media in my hand before I start messing around with the drives. So in the meantime, I'm using Windows 7. I have to say, though, Windows 7 is not that bad. The last laptop i bought was back in 2009, had Vista on it. I tried to give Vista a chance, but that lasted about a month. This new version is a LOT more polished and stable. Unless you're trying to burn an Acer restore disk....
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:48 am

Nice to hear your thoughs about Gnome 3 but the disc affair sounds pretty sucky. Yeah I think the Windows disc handling can be rather funny in general these days, didn't even get an install disc with my Sony Vaio. I agree Win 7 is a hell of an improvement over previous versions. It still has some of the old typical Windows traits like degrading somewhat after a year of use and some odd moments in general, but it is much more solid and reliable.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:33 am

You'd think they'd at put the restore disks on the hard disk as .iso files or at least post them online. I even booted into a live Fedora usb key and looked into the hidden partition to see if that was what Acer's buggy "erestore" program was looking for. No luck. The program, erestore.exe, was burning the disks fine, it was crashing during the "verify disk" part, and there was no way to skip it. So, Acer got an extra $20 out of me, which was probably their goal all along.

I can see how the Windows getting bloated and slow after a year or so is a problem for most users. It's still pretty vulnerable to viruses as well. I've had my 22 year old daughter using Linux Mint for the last 3 or 4 years, she bought a new laptop 3 months ago, and decided to leave Windows on it. She got bit by one of those fake spyware scanner viruses this week. Now she wants me to put Mint KDE on it next time I come over.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum