Linux4UnMe Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unity on ubuntu

+9
waynefoutz
almigi
oldposdells
thelolrus
Mike-pccentral
jonathan
Swathe
eldersnake
kaddy
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Unity on ubuntu - Page 2 Empty Re: Unity on ubuntu

Post  kaddy Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:08 am

true dat... True

I'm staying far far away from Gnome and Kde until they sort their crap out. lol
I'm happy using this 12mb Window Manager E17.... might even stick with it in the end Wink
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

https://linux4unme.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:28 pm

Been trying E17 since you did your vids on it Kaddy, it is pretty nice. Sometimes it feels like some of the themes are overdone or something lol, but that's just personal taste. It's very different for sure. Only strange thing is I did a GLXgears test and got about 10,000 frames higher under Ubuntu 11.10 alpha 3 (Unity) than I did under E17 with Arch, which I thought was a bit odd.

I know they say you should take GLXgears results with a grain of salt but I thought it was still interesting, especially since they are both basically using Compiz (Ecomorph in E17) but IDK.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  michaelp Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:31 pm

I don't like it or Ubuntu. Never liked Ubuntu although I can't quite put my finger on why. I think it's a fine distro, just not for me. Most times I don't know why I like what I like so my opinion doesn't make sense usually.

michaelp

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:59 pm

I know what you mean. I loved Ubuntu back in what I think were it's "Golden days". I really enjoyed and learned from using Ubuntu 8.10 (my first...linux distro Wink ) and all the way to 9.10.

10.04 was a nice distro for a while but I started to see some unfortunate persistent bugs come in that annoyed me to the point I went distro-hopping/hunting.

Mostly I've been running Arch Linux with a side of Mint and Debian since, after all the hopping about and experimenting.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  ZACHARiAS Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:06 pm

tom me it just kills the whole ubuntu experience. when i first lay my fingaz on linux, i went crazy with ubuntu. im still no expert user, tough ive been using linux on and of 4 the past 6 years, but i simply hate the damn thing. hence im keen to use ubuntu lts and or the new pinguy OS. its desktop combining old gnome feel and the new Shell is simply mndblowing, imho. i believe that the experience on pinguy OS is the way to go for old timer gnome users.
kudos

ZACHARiAS

http://orientexpressforum.biz

Back to top Go down

Unity on ubuntu - Page 2 Empty Ubuntu

Post  kd5ob Wed May 15, 2013 12:05 pm

OMG! This thread was started in January of 2011. It's now May of 2013...
Just thinking out loud, what would all these people have thought of Ubuntu
now that we KNOW they are dropping X and Wayland in favor of MIR and to add insult to injury,,,,
dropping the package manager and thus cutting any resemblance they had to Debian....

And people have the gall to suggest that on top of all this, we need to have a rolling release Ubuntu! HA!!!!!

For those of you who felt the "Planet of the Apes" movies were just good fiction,,,
from my perspective today, watching Ubuntu is like watching turds have a pond race in some septic tank...
kd5ob
kd5ob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2