[Solved] Internetlessness.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Solved] Internetlessness.

Post  dGecko on Sat May 21, 2011 5:31 pm

Heya guys,
So first of all I have to state I'm a bit of a noob user when it comes to the advanced side of Linux. But hopefully if my post does not contain enough information, you can tell me what you need to help me out.
So I've been using Archlinux for a while and being very happy with it since installing it in Feb, never really bothered to upgrade it. Then wanting to try Gnome 3, thought it be a good experience. Smile
After the update however, whenever the pc boots up, the network interface 'dies'. By this i mean, the lights are active showing connectivity untill a point at startup where it starts the network, then the light goes dead, and it complains that it could not be started.
Some information:
I have the dreaded 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev ff) (taken from lspci) , which Ive read gives quite alot of problems.
Ive searched a few forums, saying to modprobe -r r8169, then modprobe r8169. To see if it fixes the problem. No luck. its set up under dhcp.
so in rc.conf its eth0="dhcp" , INTERFACE=(eht0).
Some forum suggested dmesg | grep eth. Which on the last line just says eth0 : link not ready.
upon executing /etc/rc.d/network restart , it gets to "waiting for carrier" , then next line it says it timed out.
However when executing /etc/rc.d/network stop. The network lights on the router come back on flashing, but ofcource its because its not loaded.

After thinking that the update must have broken something, since it worked quite ok before. Decided to dl the live cd for Mint Linux 11 RC. With exactly the same thing happening there. Lights are on, till Mint loads fully, then lights go off, and in the network manager it just says that the cable is disconnected. Which it obviously isnt.

Any ideas on how I can restore my box to having internet again would be great. Some people have said to install a bunch of stuff. But having only wired internet, meaning no wireless, and it not working. Makes it a bit difficult.
So please see if you can lend some advice. Ofcource i'd be more than willing to post the results or more information if needed.

Last edited by dGecko on Mon May 23, 2011 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

dGecko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [Solved] Internetlessness.

Post  eldersnake on Sat May 21, 2011 6:22 pm

Hmm this is very strange and I have the exact same ethernet controller, however through all sort of distros or operating systems (Arch, Ubuntu, Mac OS X, Windows XP, FreeBSD, Haiku OS, Linux Mint, Fedora, Puppy etc) I have had no issues and my Arch system with Gnome 3 has been updating fine too without hassle.

Do you have any other computer to test with the router? It seems very strange it would start not working on either of your distros after that one update in Arch.
eldersnake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dGecko on Sat May 21, 2011 6:25 pm

In all fairness. I also thought it could be the router. But strange that it would work before the update and not after.
However, I did pop the Mint cd in my laptop, which uses the same router for access. And there it works flawlessly.

dGecko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy on Sun May 22, 2011 12:15 am

dGecko
Welcome to the Forums mate

"INTERFACE=(eht0)"

is that a typo just here.... or is that what you got in rc.conf? you mis spelled "eth0"

cheers
kaddy
Admin

View user profile http://linux4unme.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dGecko on Sun May 22, 2011 12:34 am

Typo ofcource Smile and no not in the .conf file. Just typing it here Laughing

dGecko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy on Sun May 22, 2011 12:51 am

hhmmmmmm. this is a dilly of a pickle.... there are so many possibilities......

post me the result of

"ifconfig"

is the eth0 interface loaded at all?
then try

"ifconfig eth0 down" then "ifconfig eth0 up

tell me what happens.... if it resolves the issue or not then we can go further.........
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dGecko on Sun May 22, 2011 1:07 am

Aye, agreed. Realized there could be many possibilities. Hence why seeking the expert advice to narrow it down.
As requested. Output from ifconfig:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1F:D0:92:23:09
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:43 Base address:0xe000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:960 (960.0 b) TX bytes:960 (960.0 b)

Upon issuing 'ifconfig eth0 down' there is no visual output. However the same happens as if I typed /etc/rc.d/network stop. The lights on the router come back on but no internet.
Then when issuing 'ifconfig eth0 up' they go dead again, with no internet connection established.
output of 'dmsg | grep eth' :
[ 188.468175] r8169 0000:03:00.0: eth0: link down
[ 188.468185] r8169 0000:03:00.0: eth0: link down
[ 188.468632] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready.

dGecko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy on Sun May 22, 2011 1:12 am

I would have to determine that it is not a software problem.... I also just noticed you said you had the same problem on LinuxMint.......

Try turning your modem off / unpluggin it for a couple mins then plugging it back in to see if it works....

if still no luck...If I was you... I would find the reset button on your modem and hold it in for 10 secs to reset to factory defaults then re configure it (I assume you know how to set it up etc???)

Also try a different ethernet cable.....

Do all of this then get back to me
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dGecko on Sun May 22, 2011 1:22 am

Well my reasoning for not suspecting the router of being the problem was because i used the same setup to do the actual update on the system.
And ofcource whenever I type a reply here, I unplug the cable from the pc just to stick it in my laptop, and it works flawlessly, even on the live cd of mint it works great.
Hence why suspecting there must have been something software related to the update that broke things.
However, since resetting the router to factory default is not a big task to re-setup, i'll try all of that aswell anyways. We live in hope Smile

However my suspicions lie somewhere within a newer version of some software, as I can only assume that the live CD of Mint 11 RC would possibly also use newer versions of whatever I had on the Arch setup which I installed in the beginning of the year.

dGecko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dGecko on Sun May 22, 2011 1:56 am

Ok, all done. sadly still have the same problem. So the plot thickens.
Out of curiosity however, scratched around to find an old copy of Mint 10. Surprisingly, the live cd had a perfect internet connection.
So we further the theory of a software problem, of a newer version of something.

dGecko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy on Sun May 22, 2011 4:10 am

sorry took so long.... been out...

anyways
hhhmmmmmm. I am thinking it is to do with the new kernel then....

when you get a chance... can you do a "uname -r" in Mint and let me know exactly what kernel is running? cheers

Only fix I can think of if this is the case is to rollback to the previous kernel for now... unless ofcoarse I can find a fix which might be a bit tricky.........
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake on Sun May 22, 2011 6:44 am

Hmm that sucks if it's one of those times where new versions of software breaks your system, in a way. As I said I have the same ethernet controller and a fully up to date system but its still working fine for me... touch wood Laughing
I suppose it could be more the fact the updated version(s) dont work with your particular router, who knows. Anyway kaddy seems to pointing you on the right track so continue with his suggested diagnosis and good luck and yes, welcome to the forums!
eldersnake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dGecko on Sun May 22, 2011 11:08 am

No worries on the late replies, and sorry for my own late replies. Also been out. Thanks for all the welcomes aswell.
Btw I dont know if it's relevant, but I'm using the x86_64 version of Arch.
As requested:
Mint 10 (working fine) : 2.6.35-22-generic
Mint 11 RC (broken) : 2.6.38-8-generic

My arch install before update, 2.6.33-ARCH, upgraded to 2.6.38-ARCH.
So you might be on to something if you think its kernel related.
Also see that kernel v2.6.39 just came out, perhaps would have saved me some hassle if it worked ;P

Im quite unfamiliar with the process of rolling back the kernel, so if no other solution is available, Im sure if there is a way to roll back without requiring internet its fine. Who knows maybe v2.6.39 fixes it again.
Also dont know if its quite a process, or if the results from my quick google searches would suffice if I need to do that.
Thanks again for your patience with this. I know troubles like this can be a real pain, especially trying to gather the information needed to make proper assessments, and ofcource all things linux can have so many things that could cause the problem.

dGecko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan on Sun May 22, 2011 5:26 pm

jonathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy on Sun May 22, 2011 9:21 pm

yeah Jonathon has found a good link

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_Panics#Roll_back_to_previous_kernel_version

tells you how to rollback to your previous kernel...... as long as you didn't execute a "pacman -Scc" to clear your cache then the old kernel should still be in there to reinstall....

I reckon you should try that man.... reboot and see what happens......... if it works again, then you know it's the kernel.... then hope that the next kernel has fixed the problem :s

let us know what you decide to do and what happens.... if you need any help still... let us know

cheers
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dGecko on Mon May 23, 2011 8:35 am

Thanks for the information guys.
Read the article and rolled back to the previous kernel. An easier task than first anticipated Smile
And grand dandy right as rain I have my internet working again.

Only thing now is to work out how to revert back to the previous Gnome, since it now just fails to load complaining about missing dependencies, since I had to revert back to a previous version of nvidia aswell. Since the latest one requires the 2.6.38 kernel.
But at least many new possibilities have opened up, with having internet back to try and install whats needed.

I'd like to thank you guys for the information. Sucks that its a kernel problem and not much one can do about that. Or can one? (general curiosity only)

dGecko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake on Mon May 23, 2011 4:23 pm

Nice work! Unfortunately new kernels can be a problem like that sometimes, but hopefully the next one doesnt have that issue. Not sure how you will know without trial and error though Wink
eldersnake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy on Mon May 23, 2011 11:13 pm

no probs

you're getting errors in gnome 3 about missing deps? that's weird... it shouldn't matter what kernel you are running... It is just a Desktop Environment....
Can you give examples of these errors? maybe the mirror you are using is not up to date? try another mirror and update? Only problem is that you will have to block kernel updates I guess.... until the next kernel comes out and hopefully fixes the issue...... but anyways.... what are these gnome errors?
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dGecko on Fri May 27, 2011 4:50 am

Heya,
sorry for the late reply.
When starting gnome, the X server complains. Which might be the problem, not so much gnome 3 itself.
Errors:
gdm-binary : WARNING : GDMDisplay : display lasted 0.024647 seconds. (which it repeats about 5 times then says that it quits after the max number of failures.)

Futher investigation from just trying to start X shows:
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

reason for this *could* be, the fact that when I tried reverting back to the previous kernel, it complained about ::nvidia : requires kernel26>=2.6.38
So u had to remove nvidia with pacman -R nvidia, and then just reinstalled an old version same way as the kernel with paman -U ...
Is there some support files for the previous version I forgot to install?
even tried playing around with reinstalling the older version of nvidia-utils.

dGecko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy on Fri May 27, 2011 5:31 am

hhmmmmmm.

man, when you reverted back to the older kernel... yeah you need to reinstall nvidia....... not just nvidia utils....

if you havn't already.... just try installing the latest nvidia driver from the repos with your older kernel... it should be find to use the latest nvidia with a slightly older kernel..... then enter a "nvidia-xconfig" into a terminal or tty...then reboot and I don't see why it would fail to load after that............. let us know
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dGecko on Fri May 27, 2011 5:52 am

How exactly does one install the latest nvidia without it installing the latest kernel as a dependency?
Because when i do 'pacman -S nvidia' it lists the faulty kernel as a dependency on the list of things to install.
even when using the pacman -U version.

dGecko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy on Fri May 27, 2011 6:04 am

hhmmmmm. i'm not in arch at the moment.... so I havn't tested it out, I didn't think it would be a problem.......

but you can still indeed install the older nvidia driver..... that you use to run flawlessly on arch with that kernel.....

It should be in your cache........... go into /var/cache/pacman/pkg and look for the older nvidia driver...............

if it's not there, you can look here
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Downgrading_Packages#Finding_Your_Older_Version

for older mirrors/rollbacks and install the required nvidia driver you need for that kernel........

once you get it sorted... i'll tell you how to block further upgrades of the kernel and nvidia module so you can still update other packages until you are ready to upgrade the kernel to the next version........ try that and get back to me
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dGecko on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:25 am

Howdee again.
Sorry for only responding again now. Got a tad frustrated with things not working, so gave it a break.
Saw that the new kernel was out 2-6-39. SO hoped if I upgraded to that, all this stuff would finally be sorted and working.
Alas, premature joy. And as soon as i upgrade to any kernel past 2-6-37, we're back to internetlessness... :/
Looks like its the end of the road for my desk pc and linux. Since all the new distro's disks also use the latest kernel. And even tho using an older version of things work, its just not preferable to not being able to update to the newer things.
Upgrade the kernel and everything else works beautifully. Just no internet. Downgrade the kernel, have internet, but no gdm.
Thanks for the support here though.

dGecko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:41 am

hi mate....
hhmmmmm. this really really sucks... I wish i had the answer... bit hard unless I'm actually sitting at your computer trying things.....

did you end up doing a bug report and posting this question on other forums aswell (besides osgui) ??? Did you post it on the ArchLinux Forums where
Most people are knowledgable unlike ubuntu forums (Lawl) and seeing what they say?

btw, What ethernet card was it? i thought I asked before... can't find it.... unless i'm blind....
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dGecko on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:19 pm

Howdee...
No worries. Im sure its just something thats conflicting somewhere.
The ethernet controller is : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev ff). From the first post Razz, but dont worry yer not blind, this has just been going a while hehe.
But eldersnake said that he has exactly the same controller and for him everything works smoothly. So perhaps its just specific to the combination of hardware I'm using. *shrug*

I suppose once I get past the mind block about the frustration, I'll start posting all over to see who can give reasonable answers, (aka Arch forum) and file a bug report. Altho I'm not quite sure what information is all required for a report.
**must resist urge to post on ubuntu forums**cringe**twitch**foam at mouth** Shocked

Thanks for all the assistance once again. And should I find a reasonable explanation somewhere, I'd be sure to add it to this one.

dGecko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top