Linux4UnMe Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ubuntu 11.04 is out!

+2
jonathan
kaddy
6 posters

Go down

Ubuntu 11.04 is out! Empty Ubuntu 11.04 is out!

Post  kaddy Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:09 am

Howdy Y'all
Ubuntu 11.04 Just came out...... Downloading as we speak...... I'll surely do a review of Ubuntu/Kubuntu in the next day or two.
Lemme know what you think of your experience with them when you try em out.... what problems you had..... good... bad..... opinions......

cheers!
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

https://linux4unme.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Ubuntu 11.04 is out! Empty Re: Ubuntu 11.04 is out!

Post  jonathan Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:18 am

I'm writing this post right now from live usb. I'm kind of liking unity so far. There are a few minor things I'd like to change but for the moment it seems nice. I'll have to use it more before giving my final opinion on it.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  rflejeune Tue May 03, 2011 10:30 am

I tired it but I couldn't stand Unity, it looks to me like it would be great for a phone interface, but not that great for a desktop. I just installed fluxbox and am going with that (not much of a fan of Gnome 3 either).
rflejeune
rflejeune

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Tue May 03, 2011 9:03 pm

rflejeune wrote:I tired it but I couldn't stand Unity, it looks to me like it would be great for a phone interface, but not that great for a desktop. I just installed fluxbox and am going with that (not much of a fan of Gnome 3 either).

I think they are both nice to look at, but both seem to add mouse clicks and extra steps in order to find the program you want and launch it. A step backwards, not forwards, in my opinion. Fluxbox is an ugly bastard, but extremely usable. I haven't made my mind up where I'm going next. For right now, I'm sticking with good old Ubuntu 10.04 and Gnome 2.x. I'm curious to see what Mint does with Gnome 3, since they aren't going to use the gnome-shell.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Wed May 04, 2011 5:54 am

yeah, I applaud Clem From Mint on his decision to stick with gnome classic style in gnome 3. Although I've tried fallback
mode on Gnome 3 and it's a piece of fkn shit and missing some basic features. I hope that won't be the case in Mint 11... but I have faith in em.... He wouldn't
release a half baked Mint release, no way.
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Wed May 04, 2011 7:47 pm

If you use hotkeys then it doesn't add anymore mouse clicks, but then you gotta use the interface in a certain way.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Sat May 07, 2011 3:56 pm

I have jumped off the Ubuntu ship, probably for good. I had been running Lucid, an update came through, and all of the sudden compiz brought my ystem to a crawl. Turned it off, launched Google Earth, whic I use as a benchmark. Broken. Screw it. No more. I decided it was time to join the bigoted homophobes and install an rpm based Linux. I backed everything up and put the latest PCLinuxOS Gnome version on my laptop. WOW! Everything screams! Bye Bye Ubuntu! The last two builds I haven't even been able to boot into a decent desktop, Natty was no different. PCLinuxOS does Gnome the way it's SUPPOSED to be done.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Sat May 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Not related to breakage so much, and I don't want to sound like an Ubuntu bagger, especially as I have fond memories of the older versions which got me into GNU/Linux in the first place, but these days I find Ubuntu in general to be slow or extremely heavyweight compared to other distros. Maybe to be expected, but it turns me off everytime I try a new release. Maybe I'm a tad spoilt using distros like Arch which dont carry the bloat (unless I choose to) but the inherent sluggishness along with the new unity which is even slower means I can never stick with it. Gnome-Shell for example on Fedora and Arch seems to fly, even though I thought Mutter/Clutter would be slower than Compiz.

Now its quite possible that benchmarks would show a negligible difference in actual speed but that's just my observation on actual feel of using the OS, I'm probably the only one, heh. Such is the beauty of choice though I guess.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Sat May 07, 2011 10:50 pm

eldersnake wrote:Not related to breakage so much, and I don't want to sound like an Ubuntu bagger, especially as I have fond memories of the older versions which got me into GNU/Linux in the first place, but these days I find Ubuntu in general to be slow or extremely heavyweight compared to other distros. Maybe to be expected, but it turns me off everytime I try a new release. Maybe I'm a tad spoilt using distros like Arch which dont carry the bloat (unless I choose to) but the inherent sluggishness along with the new unity which is even slower means I can never stick with it. Gnome-Shell for example on Fedora and Arch seems to fly, even though I thought Mutter/Clutter would be slower than Compiz.

Now its quite possible that benchmarks would show a negligible difference in actual speed but that's just my observation on actual feel of using the OS, I'm probably the only one, heh. Such is the beauty of choice though I guess.

I completely agree. I remember installing "Hoary Hedgehog," and it was probably the most fun I ever had sitting in front of a computer. Back then I was running an old laptop with a 300 megahertz pentium 2 and half a gig of ram. Ubuntu ran great on that system. was half tempted to go back to an old version, security updates be damned, I want my computer back the way it was when I first bought it, around the time Intrepid was still the current release. I'm not interested in Puppy either, where everything looks cartoonish and obnoxious. This PCLinuxOS is pretty polished. It's not without it's problems, though. Right after posted my last post in this thread, i opened up the package manager and started selecting stuff I like, then when it was all finished, nothing would launch, "symbol lookup" errors. Wound up reinstalling. Not sure what broke it, I'm thinking it was all the compiz stuff i selected. But that's ok, I don't really want to run that any more anyway.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Sat May 07, 2011 11:05 pm

If you want ubuntu without the bloat then you can give mini ubuntu a try. Quids made an install guide for 10.10. Here's the website for mini ubuntu.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Sun May 08, 2011 5:25 am

I know what you mean Wayne, my first Ubuntu was 8.10 (I guess that was Intrepid?) and even though it doesn't feel all that long ago, it seemed like a speed demon to me especially compared to my Windows install.

I even loved the brownish "Human" almost African type themes and wallpaper they had going, the startup sound etc. It really felt like "Ubuntu", as in the meaning and I had so much fun with it and besides booting into Windows to play games, I used it for everything else I could because pretty much everything worked great and Compiz worked flawlessly for the most part (on an ATI card that Compiz now hates I might add!).
Now sure I can just apply those themes and wallpapers etc to emulate the look but it just doesn't feel the same. Now it seems almost like they are trying to hard to be a bit Mac-like and things are less stable and bloated.

Hopefully that issue with PCLinuxOS is a one off/fluke, I haven't used it before but my impressions are it's usually known to be a pretty stable distro.

Mini Ubuntu looks pretty neat, cheers Jonathan. I don't know when I'll try it, as on my main machine I'm pretty happy with my Arch Linux as usual. I just did a clean install of Arch actually and it didnt take as long as I expected, but having done it once before helps I guess. Still Mini Ubuntu might be worth a try if I install Linux on another machine around here sometime.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Sun May 08, 2011 5:26 am

Ubuntu without the bloat= Debian Smile

No sir, I'm real happy with this PCLOS Gnome...so far anyway.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Sun May 08, 2011 5:50 am

eldersnake wrote:I know what you mean Wayne, my first Ubuntu was 8.10 (I guess that was Intrepid?) and even though it doesn't feel all that long ago, it seemed like a speed demon to me especially compared to my Windows install.

I even loved the brownish "Human" almost African type themes and wallpaper they had going, the startup sound etc. It really felt like "Ubuntu", as in the meaning and I had so much fun with it and besides booting into Windows to play games, I used it for everything else I could because pretty much everything worked great and Compiz worked flawlessly for the most part (on an ATI card that Compiz now hates I might add!).
Now sure I can just apply those themes and wallpapers etc to emulate the look but it just doesn't feel the same. Now it seems almost like they are trying to hard to be a bit Mac-like and things are less stable and bloated.

Hopefully that issue with PCLinuxOS is a one off/fluke, I haven't used it before but my impressions are it's usually known to be a pretty stable distro.

Mini Ubuntu looks pretty neat, cheers Jonathan. I don't know when I'll try it, as on my main machine I'm pretty happy with my Arch Linux as usual. I just did a clean install of Arch actually and it didnt take as long as I expected, but having done it once before helps I guess. Still Mini Ubuntu might be worth a try if I install Linux on another machine around here sometime.

My thoughts exactly. My first experience with Ubuntu was with "Hoary Hedghog," on a Toshiba laptop with a 3oo megahertz processor, and it ran rings around Windows 2000. Later I purchased a Dell with a one gigahertz Intel, that had an ATI Radeon 7500 with a whopping 16 mb of video ram. It ran desktop effects flawlessly. I upgraded Ubuntu versions three times with the update manager without one hitch. That machine didn't have Windows on it until I decided to put it up for sale on ebay. The machine I have now, I bought near the end of 2009, I put Intrepid on it, which in my opinion, was the last version of the Ubuntu I loved. 9.10 came out, and forced me to use open source video drivers. I ended up downgrading to Hardy. When 10.04 came out, everything seemed to run ok, but each update broke things. I ended up having probably close to 100 packages in synaptic locked because an update broke them.

As for PCLinuxOS, I put the KDE version on my my wife's machine about a year ago, it's never given me a problem, so I decided to give it a go yesterday on my own machine, after yet another update broke my system. I'm not sure which program I installed caused the symbol lookup error, I couldn't even launch a damned terminal window so I could see the error massage. I made the mistake of installing about 30 different applications at once, so I figured it would be quicker to start from scratch rather than try to track it down. I'm pretty sure going through synaptic and checking everything labeled "compiz" was my undoing. I'm putting things on there at a slower pace now..But so far, this distro reminds me of "the good old days."

edit:
installing Compiz is what caused my problem. I did it the "Ubuntu" way, and installed the compiz icon, which in Ubuntu, pulls in all the required packages. To enable desktop effects in PCLOS, the package to install is "task-3ddesktop"
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  dasilentlprince Sun May 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Hello there- never posted on here before!

I've been running 11.04 on my main machine for a couple of weeks now.
As I've grown used to it I've really started to like Unity(with a few tweaks).
I decided to load up into Ubuntu classic instead of Unity the other day and I found myself trying to select things on the launcher so much that I had to load Unity back up. If I can just find a way to change the cartoon like launcher icons then I'll be set.

dasilentlprince

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Sun May 22, 2011 12:08 am

sorry for the late replies guys... damn notifications went to my junkmail. lmao

Welcome to the Forums dasilentlprince

yeah, it is going to be a Love or hate relationship when it comes to Unity.....
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum