Linux4UnMe Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All about Arch and why it sucks.

+4
jonathan
eldersnake
Crazyiom
ninjamanawesome
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

All about Arch and why it sucks. Empty All about Arch and why it sucks.

Post  ninjamanawesome Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:01 pm

Just kidding this was just an attention getter....

I was wonder what some arch alternatives were and if they were compatible with download arch packages or whatever...
ninjamanawesome
ninjamanawesome

Back to top Go down

All about Arch and why it sucks. Empty Re: All about Arch and why it sucks.

Post  Crazyiom Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:13 pm

I know of Arch Linux and ArchBang. But the normal Arch Linux will always be best.

Crazyiom

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjamanawesome Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:15 pm

do they both have the same installer?
thanks...
I wish that I had more time haha...
ninjamanawesome
ninjamanawesome

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazyiom Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:21 pm

Sadly, I haven't got a clue if they both have the same installer.

Crazyiom

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjamanawesome Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:44 pm

oh ok
ninjamanawesome
ninjamanawesome

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Damn it man, I came in here with my fire and pitchfork at the ready Wink

I'm not entirely sure, but I reckon Archbang, like Chakra, would have it's own quick installer as it's a premade system. And yes you could try Chakra too, if it's still based on Arch lol, it's been a while so I'm not sure but it was the last time I used it.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:23 pm

Just out of curiosity do you want an alternative because you find the installation difficult? I had trouble with it when I first tried to install arch, but after enough tinkering I figured it out.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjamanawesome Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:41 pm

I just want an out of the box arch kinda thing... chakra isn't working... will download previous version... hmmm...
ninjamanawesome
ninjamanawesome

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:34 pm

What is it about Arch that you want in your OS?

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjamanawesome Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:47 pm

well....
This is why I think I want Arch if it is in there...

1) Customize it like ubuntu can be ...
2) bleeding edge above standard
or just really something awesome...
ninjamanawesome
ninjamanawesome

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Hmmm, you can still get pretty new and bleeding edge in Ubuntu or Debian testing etc..

The thing about Arch for me is the fun of building it initially and then maintaining and having more or less complete control over my operating system (total control freak you see LOL). And yes, being on the bleeding edge too.

If you don't wanna mess with too much stuff and have the OS do it for you, then Arch may not be for you, BUT you can only try it for yourself and see really Wink
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Arch is not out of the box distro. If you want bleeding edge, rolling edge kind of stuff then maybe you could give Linux Mint Debian a try. I haven't tried it myself, but I plan to at some point.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:01 pm

There are a few Arch Forks out there... and they all suck with the exception of CHAKRA. There is a stable release of Chakra now, doesn't it work for you? what is the problem?
Chakra is nice, it is based on Arch but they have their own repos that are suppose to be a little more stable but still recent packages compared to Arch.... And they have their own version of AUR

In saying that.... your better off just learning how to install ArchLinux... It is not that hard. I have a tutorial on how to do it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU1JO5801CY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRnXGNZRJ7w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKvn-wZcPuI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ1jVd0Bpts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crL56rGZP54

I was a little drunk when I did this video but it should be easy enough to follow LMAO

Otherwise try the latest Chakra release.
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

https://linux4unme.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjamanawesome Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:52 pm

5:01 am hm....

anywho

it just freezes with/without proprietary drivers selected on the load screen...
ninjamanawesome
ninjamanawesome

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:23 pm

kaddy wrote:
I was a little drunk when I did this video but it should be easy enough to follow LMAO

LoL haven't you had a bit of a swig in a lot of your vids? tongue Wink

But I agree, it's worth at least trying to do it the Arch Way. With all the vids at your disposal to help and they have that wonderful documentation too.

And yes building an Arch system is a great time to have a drink or 3 ^^ as long as you try not to screw anything up in the process like forget to edit the fstab..
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:33 am

When do you edit fstab? I've never done that before in an arch install

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:18 am

Hmm, that's interesting.
It was a fair while ago, but I edited the fstab out of my own free will at the beginning because there was a couple of partitions I wanted automounted at startup for convenience sake. And I know I had startup issues with the system and I had to fix my root fstab entry.
So in that sense I guess I must have screwed it up myself somehow Lol. Either that or I'm thinking of FreeBSD, my mind is cloudy as hell.

But anyway, besides that bit of foolishness, I had no real issues with the Arch install Smile It's really not that hard, and if you do struggle a bit, well you're learning things so push on if you have the patience.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:27 am

Absolutly.. I was an Ubuntu user before Arch, and I learned quite a bit about Linux from trying to set up the OS. I plan on doing LFS at some point to further expand my knowledge.

jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Arcanis Thu May 12, 2011 12:14 pm

One day, during my routine and usually mindless perusal of Distrowatch, I happened upon a distro I had never seen before: CTKArch. So I downloaded the latest version, and voila! I had a live CD, written entirely in FRANCAIS! It was fun, but I can't live with it. I guess that versions earlier than .07 have been translated to English, but as of yet, not .07.
Anyway, I bring this up to ask if it is not another way to begin in Arch from a cheater GUI, just as a cheating (or Lazy!) Slacker might begin with an install of Salix or Vector.? (I'm not admitting to that, by the way. Those charges have not been proven. I don't know how that willow tree got on the systems menu button, sir.)

Really, I agree with Kaddy. The real men (and penguins) amongst us will learn and be patient and grow by installing Arch from the beginning the right way. It's just that I am in a hurry to get back to my mouse hole to nibble on some cheese.
Arcanis
Arcanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Arcanis Thu May 12, 2011 12:15 pm

And give him some slack about being a little drunk in many of his videos. He's an Aussie, right?
Arcanis
Arcanis

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Thu May 12, 2011 5:09 pm

lol yeah, have you tried looking at "Chakra"?

It's comes as a live CD and with a full blown KDE desktop (if that's your thing) and has one of the nicest GUI installers I've seen.

Haven't tried it in ages though so I can't vouch for it's stability at the moment, and if you don't like KDE it might not be your thing.

There's also "ArchBang", which is by the Crunchbang guys and using openbox I believe, it's very lightweight and well set up.
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Fri May 13, 2011 2:47 am

Arcanis wrote:And give him some slack about being a little drunk in many of his videos. He's an Aussie, right?

hahaha. Yeah I think I have been drunk in a couple of my videos.... can't remember which ones though lmao

+1 @ elkersnake.... Chakra Rocks if you're into Kde and want an easy way to install ArchLinux.... Otherwise I am not that familiar
with some of the other arch based ones... i've tried a few briefly but thought they were shit....

Hey Welcome to the Forums Arcanis, good to have ya on.
Feel free to chat on Freenode if ya like #Linux4UnMe (if ya havn't been on already..... can't remember... people change nicks from youtube to forums to irc... fkn confuse me LoL) Mad

kaddy
kaddy
Admin

https://linux4unme.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  waynefoutz Fri May 13, 2011 7:07 pm

eldersnake wrote:Hmmm, you can still get pretty new and bleeding edge in Ubuntu or Debian testing etc..

The thing about Arch for me is the fun of building it initially and then maintaining and having more or less complete control over my operating system (total control freak you see LOL). And yes, being on the bleeding edge too.

If you don't wanna mess with too much stuff and have the OS do it for you, then Arch may not be for you, BUT you can only try it for yourself and see really Wink

I like the total control aspect. I'm not into bleeding edge though. I prefer stability, like Debian stable or even CentOS, which I haven't tried yet, but meaning to. I don't like being bothered with updates. Was wowed by this PCLinuxOS, but it didn't take long to figure out all the programs in the default repositories were way out of date, so I did some searching and found that the repository list had changed, fixed that, and was subject to a gig worth of updates. Problem solved, but it took me about 3 hours fixing all the problems the updates caused. I just want a stable system and be left alone...

I am intrigued with building an Arch install one day, but unfortunately my one machine is a laptop, wifi and mobile broadband is my only internet connection, so it's kind of hard to build an OS from scratch unless it's inside a virtual machine.
waynefoutz
waynefoutz

Back to top Go down

Post  eldersnake Fri May 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Yeah I can understand that. I have to say though, for bleeding edge, Arch has been overall very solid for me. Kaddy might have a different experience, and a different opinion on it to share but for myself, it's been pretty good.

The one popular distro I found that particularly held up to the typical "bleeding-edge" reputation was Fedora. Every day even just cruising through good old Gnome 2, there would be something crashing and that little red alert symbol come up in the top corner telling you what crashed and to report it etc. Compiz, the desktop itself, Pulseaudio, Packagekit, Evolution, heck the calculator once, lol.

I'm not bagging Fedora, I don't mind it actually and I used it for a while but you could see why it carried the bleeding edge tag and the warnings that come with that. The biggest issue I've had with Arch was when KDE 4.6 first came out and I upgraded right away. The desktop was broken for half an hour after that, because one particular package was not upgraded and the current one was not compatible. However, this was only because my Aussie download mirror hadn't fully synced with the primary Arch mirrors yet. I went on the Arch forum straight away, sure enough there was already a thread on it and someone provided a link to the updated package on a file hosting site for us to manually download and install which fixed it while the mirror was still syncing.

Still, I haven't used Arch for a full year yet, so... Wink
eldersnake
eldersnake

Back to top Go down

Post  javasboy Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:39 am

I installed Archlinux is the most difficult to install the system, but now I am not afraid of it. I have installed more than five times.
javasboy
javasboy

http://www.liurongxing.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next