Linux4UnMe Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sabayon 13.04 KDE

2 posters

Go down

Sabayon 13.04 KDE   Empty Sabayon 13.04 KDE

Post  kd5ob Thu May 16, 2013 11:01 pm

Being the restless guy I am, expressing my LMDE concerns and starting to get bored with CrunchBang, I thought I would try and use something more modern.

And hell, I've used Gentoo since it first came out with Daniel Robbins. Stage1, Stage2, Stage3, wait 2 weeks and use.
I used to install it with my Knoppix CD and still do. I don't like their install ISO.

And the main reason why I never used their install ISO is simple. Every friggen computer I've ever owned
has a BROADCOM WIFI in it. So, I have this cellphone and Easytether and if you must know, I hack all my install starts with Easytether because of my Broadcom handycap.

Easytether i available in .rpm and .deb formats in both I386 and also AMD64. And you can very quickly get your
LMDE or Crunchbang or Debian or Knoppix ISO to network extremely quickly with that Easytether then go get the WL driver to get the stinking networking working. I also happen to have an Atheros AR8162 networking card in my new IVy Bridge laptop here, so I can't even use that damn thing without having to install a driver....

SO!!!!!

Here I sit with this new Sayayon 13.04 KDE ISO burned to a DVD. I've booted it up. It's nice. I've never ever tired Sabayon. And Kaddy's video and his continually talking about it has raised me eye...

I can install this to my Virtual Box here on CrunchBang right now just to play with it.
But, I'm really scratching my head this time. Here's the link I've found for Sabayon and Easytether so far...

https://code.google.com/p/theebuilds/source/browse/trunk/net-misc/easytether/easytether-0.7.0.ebuild?r=88

This Ebuild requires a network to download it and make the thing. Maybe I could just take the .deb file I already have
and just manually do it as printed and get this thing to run??? Then I could have my networking and get everything else installed...

I'm smiling here and guessing that just giving us dpkg would be cheating...

Well, I'm off to the horse races. It was nice knowing everybody...

kd5ob
kd5ob

Back to top Go down

Sabayon 13.04 KDE   Empty Re: Sabayon 13.04 KDE

Post  kaddy Fri May 17, 2013 6:35 am

I wish the Sabayon devs didn't Jinx the latest release with "13.04" Noooooooooooooooooo!

Very Happy
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

https://linux4unme.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Sabayon 13.04 KDE   Empty My difficulties.

Post  kd5ob Wed May 22, 2013 10:42 pm

Well, as I said earlier..... Sabayon doesn't have any support for networking on my new laptop with their 13.04 release ISO.
And tried manually installing easytether a couple of ways. Neither worked.
Then I got the bright idea, why don't I just chroot the thing as I do when I build Gentoo from scratch using a knoppix disk!!!
And that didn't work either as for some reason I couldn't get the chrooted environment set up just right and the update wouldn't run.
That's the one thing I've learned about Sabayon is you can't install crap unless you've done the update!

Now, I could just run down to the store and get some WIFI dongle which is linux compatible.
But that would destroy my personality.

So, here's what I did next. I had my OpenSuse 12.3 ISO in hand and thought that I would finally just try tumbleweed!
And so, I got that all installed okay via Easytether. Then I decided to go get Kazam from the portals thing.
Well, Kazam isn't supported in tumbleweed. And much of the entire portal thing isn't supported in tumble weed.

Then i blew that away and decided to just install Gentoo.
At least with Gentoo, you can get the networking started via Knoppix and go.
I created this wonderful LVM encrypted install. It was beautiful!
Then I jacked up my USE variables and hosed it to the point I blew that away.
I keep wondering if I should even bother with setting the USE flags at all?
I remember my first experience with USE some 10 years ago and it was a much simpler deal back then.
And the reason i blew it away was because I set so many USE flags for things, hell,,, I might as well just run another distro.
I'm trying to create debian here...

So, I was watching Kaddy's debian VS ubuntu rant video and caught that he installed from the new Debian 7.0 DVD.
And I wanted that DVD. So, I downloaded that DVD. And MAN, that dvd has much more on it that Crunchbang does.
WOW!

So, I installed Debian 7 from the DVD on this laptop and didn't spend 3 days doing it. I was done in about 4 hours with everything.
So, I'm sitting here with this GNOME desktop that Kaddy was bitching about and using it, looking at it... And I'm saying to myself,,
the really ONLY thing I don't like about this GNOME desktop is the screen blanker options of 10 minutes through 1 hour. Why can't they just put never
on there?

Anyway, Suse is a mess. Sabayon is uninstallable for me. And Gentoo just takes too much of my time building what I'd get with Debian anyway.
I may just be a permanent LMDE user IF they can ever get the install disk up to par with MD5 support for RAID and LVM2 and encryption capabilities.

I think I will stay with Debian for a while as I just don't see anything I really like right now.

There are certainly times that I've said to myself that all these distro's are just crap.
But the one thing about Debian is, it brings me back everytime. It's so stable and reliable and works
and it's just what you've always wanted, even if it is a little older software...
The Debian people put so much work into their distribution that I dare say that there is more setup and polish
in Debian 7 than there is in OpenSuse 12.3,,, IF YOU LOOK AROUND INSIDE...
Debian is just such a work horse. How could you not like it?

kd5ob
kd5ob

Back to top Go down

Post  kaddy Thu May 23, 2013 8:00 am

Can't blame you for wanting to use a RELIABLE Community distro Wink
kaddy
kaddy
Admin

https://linux4unme.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down